In a webinar on Thursday, April 20, before May’s FusionXInvest event in London, Andrew Holland, FIA CEO; Randall Volberg, Founder and VP Business Development at Type One Energy; Mark White, Investment Director at Future Planet Capital; and Dr. Melanie Windridge, CEO of Fusion Energy Insights; had a discussion on fusion energy’s readiness for mainstream institutional investors.
The group discusses the benefits of fusion energy that make it “the preferred power of the universe,” and various key developments in recent years that have led to a sharp increase in investment levels – now standing at over $5 billion worldwide, and growing.
Some of the key advances allowing for the investment increase:
- Enabling technologies and advanced materials, like high-temperature superconducting materials
- Increasing regulatory certainty, like the recent Nuclear Regulatory Commission decision separating fusion regulations from fission in the United States
- Government support for accelerated fusion development
- Public-private partnerships capitalizing on the combination of public sector expertise and private sector ambitions
- The ability of fusion start-ups to adapt and move quickly
- Growing global fusion industry supply chain
The group also speaks about the necessity of a climate solution and geopolitical stability playing a role in the increase in the demand for fusion, and iterate the need to make the investments now as the industry is rapidly developing.